Saturday October 22, 2016

updated - October 22, 2016 Saturday EDT

ChemChina Improves Offer To Buy Syngenta, Annouces Plan To Purchase Company In 2 Stages

Dec 21, 2015 04:40 AM EST | By Jean-Claude Arnobit
China National Chemical Corp., Syngenta AG, proposed acquisition
ChemChina Improved Offer To Buy Syngenta, Will Acquire The Company In Two Stages
(Photo : Justin Sullivan | Getty Images News)

China National Chemical Corp. (ChemChina) has improved its offer to acquire Syngenta AG and mark the biggest acquisition by a Chinese company, people with knowledge of the matter told Bloomberg News.

ChemChina is proposing a complex two-stage takeover, wherein it would purchase 70 percent of Syngenta now, with the option to purchase the remaining 30 percent of the company at a later date.

The insiders, who asked not to be identified because the information is private, said that the proposal would allow ChemChina to work with Syngenta in integrating the two businesses before assuming complete control of the company.

ChemChina offered about 470 Swiss francs, or $472 a share for the 70 percent of Syngenta, one of the sources said.

The purchase price, which would give Syngenta a market value of $44 billion, was revised from the 449 francs that was offered previously.

China Business News said that the combination of the two companies would enable them to cater to nearly 25 percent of the world's market.

Syngenta caters to 19 percent of the world's agricultural market while ChemChina ascribes to a five percent market share.

The two companies also have their own unique features that the combined company can take advantage on.

ChemChina, the seventh-largest maker of crop chemical, has a significant presence in China, the world's largest population country, which gives it an advantage of higher sales in the country.

Syngenta, on the other hand, enjoys a vast network in 120 countries and also leads in research and sales volume, making it the world's largest pesticide manufacturer.

The people said that Syngenta will hold a board meeting before the end of the year to vote on the deal offered by ChemChina.

Though talks are already in advanced stages, no agreement has been reached yet and there is no guarantee that a deal will be completed.

Get the Most Popular Franchiseherald Stories in a Weekly Newsletter
© 2015 Franchise Herald. All rights reserved.

Connect With Franchise News

Email Newsletter


  • RANK
  • 1nc
    Hampton Hotels
    $3.7M - 13.52M
  • 2nc
    $85.2K - 260.35K
  • 3up
    Jiffy Lube Int'l. Inc.
    $196.5K - 304K
  • 4down
    7-Eleven Inc.
    $30.8K - 1.64M
  • 5up
    $103.55K - 196.5K
  • 6up
    Anytime Fitness
    $56.3K - 353.9K
  • 7down
    $133.05K - 181.45K
  • 8down
    Denny's Inc.
    $1.18M - 2.4M
  • 9down
    $1M - 2.16M
  • 10down
    Pizza Hut Inc.
    $295K - 2.15M
Real Time Analytics